1. Don’t go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Doing this only makes you binge shop to satisfy your cravings.
2. When purchasing fruits and tuna in cans, look for ones that are packed in water.
3. Learn to read labels. When you see the words “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” at the top of the list, this means that the amount of trans fatty acids are higher in that particular item. These are “unhealthy” fats.
4. Look for skinless turkey and chicken. Buy lean meats, especially those with Omega-3 for maximum fat burning abilities.
5. Skip the frozen dinners. If you can’t avoid it, look for those that are low in sodium and fat.
6. Buy dairy products loaded with calcium. Lots of other foods have added calcium as well, such as orange juice.
7. When buying bread, whole grains are best. Oatmeal is another good choice. Try to buy the plain oatmeal and add your own flavors at home. Try adding apples, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, and other non-sugary seasonings.
8. Citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruits and lemons are loaded with Vitamin C, a fat fighter. High fiber fruits are also key such as melons.
9. Stay away from yogurt that has a topping added. These have lots of added sugar. Add your own topping at home. Better yet, buy plain, and stir in fresh fruits.
10. If you must snack, stick with pretzels, nuts, fruits and veggies. Precut at home for ready snacks.
You can easily get into healthy habits at the grocery store if you fight the temptation to buy compulsively and learn not to be misled by advertising. I hope these tips for choosing healthy foods when grocery shopping to help lose stomach fat get you on the way to healthy eating habits and a trim belly.